Romans 12:15
Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
There is no other sentiment that could better describe our weekend. On Friday Kacey took her shoe box with her to school with great anticipation that she would be selected out of her class to receive 1 of four baby chics that were being given to students with good behavior. The teacher picked names out of a hat and after the first three names were selected Kacey was still not one of the chosen ones and as she says -- she was very HOT and nervous hoping her name would be selected in which it was. She said the whole class clapped when the teacher read her name aloud. She was so excited about her new pet whom she named Butterball! And as her parents we were very proud of her. She is a good girl and deserved to get the baby chic! She and Breck both had such fun playing with Butterball over the weekend but on Sunday afternoon they were running around the yard with her and Kacey accidentally stepped on her. In Kacey's words she went cheep cheep like asking for help and then died. Such sorrow... such sadness... such loss and a first taste of death for my precious daughter. Something none of us will ever escape here on earth.
As mom, I have felt her sadness but also admired her growth as she has processed this with tears and wisdom. She told me she doesn't know why this had to happen, but God does and that God created Butterball special even if her life was only 3 days.
7 comments:
Um okay...that is sad. I remember Kristi, Josh and I running around in one of the cabins at Twin Peaks and one of us stepped on the squirrel that we wanted to catch and I remember being devastated. We burried it under a tree. Every year I would remember the tree when I would go to camp and be sad. I was young too so I can see how terrible Kacey must feel. Poor little thing. Was she supposed to keep it forever??? Or just the weekend??
Oh! It may be just as well because you might have gotten a rooster out of it if she got to keep it longer than the weekend! Ty, Tel, Tanisha, Josh and I thought chicks were cute and we all brought one home and then somehow they turned from cute chicks to really ugly chickens that crowed way too early in the morning! There is a soft spot in a childs heart for a baby chick though because I had it too!!! I just didn't understand what they would become!!!
Oh Butterball!
That is really sad for sweet Kacey!
Kacey girl. I'm so sorry that your chic died. I do remember when I stepped on a baby chipmunk that Uncle Josh and Aunt Katy and I were playing with in a cabin at Twin Peaks Bible Camp. I cried and cried thinking about it. I am sorry you are sad. Love you.
That is sad, Sorry Kacey, maybe you can find a new baby chick and have Butterball II. They do get big and are very annoying if they turn out to be roosters crowing super early in the morning. I do not remember stepping on the squirel, Mom was asking me about the same thing....
That makes me want to cry, Amy. Losing a pet is sad, no matter how old you are.
I laughed about your sibling's comments. Was it a squirrel or a chipmunk? I always get them confused, too.
Kacey.....
We are so sorry about Butterball's death. You looked like you were having so much fun with Breck and Butterball. We are glad you know Jesus so He can comfort you! Love, Aunt Nina and Elise
Post a Comment